When we think about the use of art in UK New towns it is worth considering……..
Whether ART was USED TO…………..
- hide poor living conditions
- act as a social experiment
- respond to the local environment
- respond naturally and organically to what was there before
- offer a radical criticism (the most unlikely maybe)
WHO WERE THE ARTISTS AND WHO PAID THEM?
- individuals or groups of artists constituting an art movement
- original artists involved (particularly as part of development corporations in UK)
- recent artists commenting on environment
- graffiti artists – local commentary.
WHAT MATERIALS DID THEY USE?
- what was used
- what could they afford to use after the wars
- were materials used used as expression
- what were they expressing
- was the effect of European movements such as Brutalism felt in UK post industrial environments?